COVID Leave Policy
Memorandum #264 COVID Leave Policy
Approved: March 24, 2022
Approved by: President
Policy Owner(s): Vice President, Human Resources
The City of Philadelphia recently adopted Bill No-220051-A requiring employers to provide COVID-19 Leave to certain employees. Effective immediately through December 31, 2023, pursuant to Philadelphia Code Section 9-4116, paid COVID-19 Leave is available as set forth below when an employee is unable to work for the following COVID-19 Leave Reasons:
- A healthcare provider, public official/public health authority, or the College has determined that the employee’s presence on campus would jeopardize the health of others because the employee has been exposed to or is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19;
- The employee needs to self-isolate because the employee has been diagnosed with or tests positive for COVID-19; or needs to seek medical care due to symptoms related to COVID-19;
- The employee needs to care for a family member if a healthcare provider, public official/public health authority, or the family member’s employer has determined the family member’s presence in the community will jeopardize the health of others because the family member has been exposed to or is exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19; or the family member has been diagnosed with or tests positive for COVID-19 or needs to seek medical care due to symptoms related to COVID-19;
- The employee needs to care for the employee’s child if the child’s school or childcare provider is unavailable or closes due to precautions taken in response to COVID-19; or
- The employee needs to get a COVID-19 vaccine or booster or recover from any related side effects of the vaccine or booster.
Amount of COVID-19 Leave Available
- Adjunct Instructors and Visiting Lecturers: Adjuncts and Visiting Lecturers are allotted the equivalent of one week of COVID-19 Leave in addition to the sick time normally allotted to adjunct instructors/visiting lecturers under the Adjunct/Visiting Lecturer CBA.
- Part-time Classified Employees: Part-time Classified Employees are allotted the equivalent of one-week of COVID-19 Leave in addition to their normally allotted paid time off.
- Non-Union Part-Time Employees and Student Workers: The equivalent of one week of regularly scheduled hours of paid COVID-19 Leave is available to non-union part time employees and student workers who do not have any other form of paid time off.
- Probationary Employees: Employees in their probationary period are allotted up to 40 hours of paid COVID-Leave.
- Full-Time Employees: Full-time employees who have passed their probationary period may use up to 40 hours of their existing sick time, personal time, and/or vacation time for any of the above COVID-19 Leave Reasons. To the extent full-time employees need additional leave for a COVID-19 Leave Reason, such requests will be considered by Human Resources on a case-by-case basis.
Employees in need of COVID-19 Leave for a COVID-19 Leave Reason should request such leave as soon as practicable or feasible. Employees may request COVID-19 Leave by filling out the following certification to request COVID-19 Leave and submitting it to their supervisor and Human Resources at email@example.com.
Pursuant to Section 9-4116, please note the College may not retaliate against an employee for requesting or using COVID-19 Leave for any COVID-19 Leave Reason under this policy.