Policy Governing use of College Facilities
Memorandum #153 Policy Governing use of College Facilities
Revised: July 30, 2001
Original Date of Issue: April 5, 1983
The purpose of this document is to provide guidance for the Community College of Philadelphia facilities. Facility use is governed by the overall mission of the College.
Community College of Philadelphia is committed to ensuring the full use of its facilities for the education of its students and where economically possible and appropriate for community advancement.
Coordination for facilities usage is determined by the nature of the event based on the following priorities:
Priority 1 - Instructional Activities
Regularly scheduled credit, non-credit classes, and college-wide instructional activities, e.g., faculty meetings and College workshops. These activities require the approval of the designated division Deans and the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
The responsibility of coordinating such activities will be handled by the College scheduler and requester. The Special Events and Community Relations Coordinator will be consulted when appropriate.
Priority 2 - Student Activities
Student activities and co-curricula activities sponsored by the Student Government Association and recognized student clubs/organizations require approval from the Director of Student Activities, Division Dean an /or Vice President.
The responsibility for scheduling such activities will be handled by the Director of Student Activities.
Priority 3 - Institutional Events
Institutional events are events sponsored by the President and/or Administrative departments. The Special Events and Community Relations Coordinator is available for consultation when necessary. The responsibility of coordinating such activities will be handled by the Special Events and Community Relations Coordinator.
Staff wishing to schedule any special events involving non-College participants, or use of College facilities when they are normally not open are expected to follow the same procedures as outside organizations spelled out in Priority 4.
Priority 4 - Special Events & Activities Sponsored by Outside Organizations
Listed below are the types of Special events and activities that require the approval by the Vice President of Communications and Government Relations. The responsibility of coordinating these activities will be handled by the Special Events and Community Relations Coordinator in accordance with the policy.
- All meetings and conferences hosted by outside organizations that have an affiliation with Community College of Philadelphia via staff participation or membership.
- Meetings and conferences hosted by outside organizations not affiliated with Community College of Philadelphia, e.g., lectures for public service information, staff development training sessions, and satellite broadcast meetings.
- Meetings and conferences hosted by City or state agencies, e.g., Job Fairs, Town Meetings, and youth summit activities.
- Activities hosted by special interest organizations.
Confirmed facility users will receive a complete meeting-planning package which will include:
- A letter of Confirmation.
- A General Hold Harmless Agreement.
- The College's Mission Statement.
- A list of policies and regulations for facility usage.
- A Facilities and Rates schedule.
- Audio-Visual Services and Equipment Rate Schedule
- A list of college approved caterers.
Expense Recovery Cost
Use of the facilities for special events require an expense recovery cost payment. These cost encompass fees for the following: setup, electricity, housekeeping, and minimal security expenses. Audio-visual equipment and catering needs are additional. A distinction is identified on the Facilities and Rate Schedule between regular and business hours and weekend hours. Expense recovery cost shall be applied to all requests. Exceptions require the approval of the Vice President of Communications & Government Relations and/or the President.
A Facilities and Rate Schedule may be obtained from the Special Events and Community Relations Coordinator.
Special Events will not be scheduled on the following days:
- Before 8:00 a.m. or after 11:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday
- Friday through Sunday during the summer schedule.
- When the College is officially closed.
- All exceptions require the approval of the Vice President of Communications and Government Relations and/or the President.