Search MyCCP

About Counseling

Students Smiling

College life is full of opportunities and challenges. The Community College of Philadelphia Counseling Center can help you optimize your opportunities and meet your challenges. The College offers free, comprehensive counseling services to all of its students. Check out our Student Welcome video.

Staffed by professional counselors, the College’s Counseling Center offers you free educational, career and personal counseling services. Counselors also assist both current students and graduates who wish to continue their education at another institution. Check out our Tips for College Success video. 

Counselors can assist you in these areas:


  • Registering for courses (New transfer students, readmit students who have not enrolled in courses in the past two years or longer and students on academic probation)
  • Provide educational planning for students on academic probation
  • Withdrawal from a course and/or all courses at the College
  • Changing majors
  • Discuss concerns about academic performance and identify strategies for success
  • Review and access eligibility for Academic Amnesty and Time Amnesty Request


  • Career decision-making skills
  • Utilize career assessments to narrow down career options
  • Assistance with integrating education choices and career plans
  • Guidance on career information and resources
  • Information about job market trends
  • Discuss options for students who do not meet minimum Kaplan score for a specific program 


  • Decision-making and life skills
  • Strategies to cope with family and peer pressures
  • Stress and time management skills
  • Developing self-esteem, confidence and problem-solving skills
  • Community resources and referrals
  • Crisis counseling (For emergencies, when on campus, please call security at 811)
  • For immediate assistance, when College is closed text or call 988 (national hotline) or 215-685-6440, crisis line.


  • Assistance in identifying colleges and universities for transfer
  • Help planning appropriate course selection for transfer
  • Guidance on application process
  • Information on dual admissions programs
  • Advice on how to gain acceptance into select colleges
  • Clarification of credit minimums and GPA requirements for transfer


Students should understand that both counseling and higher education laws prevent the Counseling Department from sharing counseling records without written permission from the student. There are a few exceptions to confidentiality, and it is important that you understand them.  Counselors may have to turn over records for a court order or subpoena.  Counselors are also legally-mandated reporters of abuse or suspected abuse of a child, elder, or disabled person, as well as threats made to your life or the life of another.  Therefore, if a student chooses to share such information with a counselor, he or she may be required to break confidentiality about the counseling visit in order to protect the safety of the student or others. 

Understanding Academic Probation

Students are considered to be on academic probation when they do not meet the standards established by the Academic Standards and Progress Policy. When a student is on academic probation they must meet with a Counselor to register for courses and to change their schedule at any time during the semester. Academic Probation students, please complete this form for a registration appointment.

New students and Continuing students in good academic standing

New students should complete our online orientation to register for course. Continuing students are students currently enrolled in courses or those who were enrolled in courses within the past two years. These students can visit Academic Advising for assistance with course selection and registration, learning about college resources and creating academic and graduation plans.