Guidelines for the use of Student Activities Fund
Memorandum #211 Guidelines for the use of Student Activities Fund
Revised: March 17, 2011
Reissued: March 17, 2011
Original Date of Issue: November 7, 1975
I. Guidelines for Apportioning Funds
A budget shall be prepared for presentation to the Board of Trustees through the President's Office apportioning funds to assure the continuance of such activities as vocal and instrumental music, various forms of dance, drama, intercollegiate and intramural athletics, the student newspaper, and the literary magazines as long as there is significant student interest in these and similar activities. Funds shall also be appropriated for concerts, films, lectures and similar events which complement the cultural and academic activities of the institution. Funds shall be made available for the Student Government Association to carry out its programs and to finance the activities of recognized clubs and organizations upon Student Government Association approval of their programs and budget, or in the absence of action by a duly elected Student Government Association, approval by the administration.
Five percent of the anticipated income shall be appropriated as a contingency fund. The Office of Student Life and the Department of Athletics may draw upon this fund for the enhancement of student activities. Any residual funds at the end of the fiscal year shall be placed in the Student Activities Reserve Fund. The approval for expenditures of funds from the contingency fund and from the Student Activities Reserve Fund will be the responsibility of the Vice President for Student Affairs.
All funds shall pass through the Business Office of the College, following procedures specified by the Business Office.
Once staff salaries and benefits, Commencement expenses, and funding of First Year Student Success Programming have been determined, the administration will attempt to allocate the remaining funds in the following manner:
|Student Leadership and Involvement||........||15%|
II. Guidelines for Using Funds
- Overnight trips require the prior approval of the Director of Student Life or the Director of Athletics and the Dean of Students. Reasonable expenses for food and lodging are acceptable. Group meals and rates should be arranged whenever possible.
- Donations by a student organization for community or charitable purposes of any sort must come from income generated by that organization. No money appropriated by the College to clubs and organizations or the Student Government Association may be used for such donations.
- Organizations may use any legal means to raise money to help carry out their programs. Such fund raising projects must be registered with the Director of Student Life at least three weeks prior to the fund-raising affair or inception of the project. The College name or identity may not be used to raise money for a specific religious, political, ethnic or social group.
- No student, organization, advisor, coach, etc., may sign a contract obligating any student activity funds or the facilities of the College or of any student organization.
- Contracts to be paid from student activities or athletics funds for sums in excess of $1,000.00 must be signed by the Vice President for Student Affairs. Contracts to be paid from student activities or athletics funds for sums in excess of $5,000.00 must be signed by the President. By Board of Trustees action, certain of these must be cleared by College legal counsel. Such contracts must be signed at least 30 days prior to the event or delivery of goods or services. The contracts must be accompanied by a detailed plan for advertising and promotion and an estimate of anticipated attendance.
- The major consideration in selecting advisors, directors and coaches shall be their ability to provide an optimum educational experience for students in a particular activity. Compensation for these people shall be based on the professional time spent, the number of students directly involved, the extent and nature of preparation and experience. Any advisor, coach or director paid from College funds must be approved by the Director of Student Life or the Director of Athletics, the Dean of Students and the Vice President for Student Affairs..
- No College funds shall be used to pay for appearances by public figures without the written approval of the President.
- No College funds shall be used to pay for any appearance by any full-time employee of the College.