Course Scheduling Preference for Veteran Student
Memorandum #16 Course Scheduling Preference for Veteran Student
Effective date: November 1, 2014
Veteran students (as defined below) are granted course scheduling preference (in accordance with Pennsylvania legislation – Act 46 of 2014 - (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46) during the priority registration period. Active military members also receive course scheduling preference during the priority registration period.
Course scheduling preference means veteran students are able to start registering for courses sooner than students with the same class standing. Dates for priority registration and the procedure for veterans scheduling are published each semester on the College’s website.
Eligible students must provide documentation confirming their status as an active military member or veteran as defined below. Supporting documentation such as the DD-214 must be received at least 5 business days before the priority registration period.
A Veteran – Per Act 46 of 2014 (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46):
- Has served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component and National Guard; and
- Was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Veterans who completed their obligated service in the Reserves and National Guard but were not deployed to active duty are included in this definition.
A Veteran Student – Per Act 46 of 2014 (Act of May 14, 2014, P.L. 667, No. 46):
- Is a veteran.
- Has been admitted to a public institution of higher education; and
- Resides in Pennsylvania while enrolled in the public institution of higher education.
- Veteran students may or may not be using veteran's educational benefits at the institution.
- Act 46 of 2014 applies to veteran students admitted to all for-credit courses and programs offered at the institution.
For additional information or questions regarding course scheduling preference for veteran students, contact the Veteran’s Resource Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Student Complaint form found at www.education.state.pa.us.