The Mailroom is responsible for delivery of mail (external and internal) to the office or mailbox of the addressee. Normal mail delivery is between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. The Mailroom also collects outgoing mail twice daily from designated points throughout the College. Staff in the mailroom coordinate messenger service to the Regional Centers, and will arrange for special deliveries as required.
The College can achieve significant savings on postage by pre-sorting mail by zip code. Mailroom staff are always anxious to work with departments in order to achieve the most cost-effective mailing possible.
- Shipping and receiving (UPS, FedEx)
- Certified mail
- Metered mail processing
- Inter-office mail distribution
- Postal consultations with the Mailroom Operations Supervisor
- All incoming mail, including special delivery and certified mail, is delivered by College employees to the College mail room, not to the individual concerned.
- College mail service personnel will notify addressees that special mail is being held for them by placing notification slips in individual mailboxes. The individuals concerned may then sign for and pick up their mail at room MG-25.
- College envelopes must include the name/department of sender above the return address. All mail returned from postal authorities to the College for lack of proper address, insufficient postage, etc., is opened for identification unless the sender has already provided such identification on the return address.
- Postal regulations require that the name of the individual addressee or department appear above the address on outgoing mail. In order to be processed through postal machinery, the bottom address line on an envelope must be the city, state, and zip code.
- A stock of College logo envelopes in various sizes is maintained in Central Supplies.
- Requests for special outgoing mail such as express, certified or registered should be addressed to the Mail Room Supervisor. Money covering the cost of all mailing must be deposited with postal authorities in advance.
- To ensure timely mailing, persons who desire large mailings must inform the Mail Room Supervisor seven days in advance. Adequate notification includes the number and type of pieces in the bulk mailing and a sample, if available. Failure to make this notification may result in a delay in the mailing.
Bulk Mailings (Standard Mail, Presort)
- Mailings that exceed a certain number of pieces qualify for rate discounts. In order to maximize the use of bulk rates, printed envelopes or labels should be in zip-code order with the appropriate bulk mail classification for first class, pre-sort or standard mail non-profit rate.
- Large mailings that do not qualify for the minimum number may be combined with those of other departments. All large mailings should be coordinated in advance with the Mail Room Supervisor so that the cheapest, most appropriate mail classification can be used.
- Utilization of postal permits or pre-printed forms must be coordinated with the Mail Room Supervisor prior to printing to ensure accuracy and sufficient allocation of postage funds.
- Interoffice mail must be placed in the brown reusable envelopes provided for that purpose.
- The correct interoffice address contains the name of the recipient and her/his department and room location.
- To ensure that postage is not wasted on internal mail, the use of white envelopes for internal mail with or without the College insignia and return address is prohibited. Plain white envelopes may be used to provide extra security for confidential documents, but these must be placed inside the interoffice mailing envelopes. Mail service personnel cannot pick up or receive mail destined for interoffice delivery which does not meet the above requirements.
Hours of Operation
Mon – Fri: 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Mon – Thurs: 8 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Pickups and Deliveries
Daily between 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m.; final pickup 3:15 p.m.
Regional Centers (Courier)
West Regional Center: 9:40 a.m.
Northwest Regional Center: 10:40 a.m.
Northeast Regional Center: 11:40 a.m.
Mailroom Operations Supervisor