Emergency Procedures and Scenarios
Take some time to familiarize yourself with the following emergency scenarios and procedures:
Activate the nearest fire alarm if it is safe to do so. Call 911 or to alert emergency personnel.
- If the fire is small, use a nearby fire extinguisher.
- If you can’t extinguish the flames, evacuate the building immediately.
Notify selected staff and Safety & Security that a bomb threat was received.
- Have selected staff inconspicuously conduct a visual search for suspicious packages or devices.
- If a package is confirmed as suspicious, conduct a safe and orderly evacuation of the building.
- Security will notify police that a suspicious device or package has been located in the building after receiving a bomb threat.
Move to an interior room or hallway on the lowest floor and get beside (not under) a sturdy piece of furniture.
- Stay away from windows. Close windows and doors.
- Remain in the safe area until all danger has passed.
- If the facility is damaged, evacuate after the storm passes and stay clear of the damaged area. Be aware of debris, power lines and gas leaks.
Move cautiously to a lighted area. Exits may be indicated by lighted signs.
- Turn off and unplug computers and other voltage-sensitive equipment.
- For information about a prolonged outage, check www.ccp.edu, Facebook or Twitter.
Do not physically confront the person. Do not let anyone into a locked building/office.
- If the person is inside, do not physically confront them or block their access to an exit.
- Call College Safety & Security and calmly provide as many details as possible.
Do not touch or disturb the object.
- Call College Safety & Security.
- Notify your supervisor, faculty or staff member immediately.
- Be prepared to evacuate.
- Alert others in the area.
Exit the building if it is safe to do so
Seek shelter in a room that can be secured or barricaded.
- Turn off the lights, lock all doors and windows, get down on the floor and make sure no one is visible from outside the room. Silence all devices.
- Call 911 or 5555 to report the situation. Remain in place until instructed to exit.
- If an armed intruder enters your room, try to remain calm. If possible, call 911 or 5555 and provide your location. If it is not safe to speak, leave the line open for the dispatcher. If the armed intruder leaves the area, proceed immediately to a safer place.
Learn about Evacuate, Lockdown, and Shelter in Place
>>Watch the “Run, Hide, Fight” active-shooter video
Check for a call, text message or email from the College.
- Tune to a local TV or radio station.
- Call the College at 215-751-8000.
- Check www.ccp.edu, Facebook or Twitter.
Call 911 immediately, and then call College Safety and Security.
For more detailed instructions or to view other possible emergency scenarios, refer to the College’s Emergency Operations Plan