Expectations of Tutees and Tutors
Expectations for Tutees
Honor all scheduled appointments
- If you need to cancel, call at least one hour before the start of your session;
- Failure to cancel the appointment will result in the student being declared a “no-show”;
- Given multiple “no-shows” or late cancellations, you may be restricted from using tutoring services.
- Bring your textbook, syllabus, notes, previous assignments and other relevant materials;
- Attempt assignments before meeting with your tutor;
- Prepare specific questions about content and/or study skills;
- Remember to prioritize what topics you’d like to work on with the tutor.
Be Responsible for Your Own Work
- Declare whether the assignment in question is subject to grading;
- Tutoring is a supplement to your class, but it is never a replacement for attending class regularly or independent practice;
- Tutors will not complete your homework or any “take-home,” graded assignment for you.
Be Respectful of Others
- Keep an appropriate volume of your voice when speaking with other students or tutors;
- Engaging in distracting, unruly or disrespectful behavior will result in being asked to leave the center.
Expectations for Tutors
- Tutors will arrive prepared, on-time, and interested in each student’s concerns;
- Tutors will abide by FERPA, maintaining the confidentiality of all personal information;
- Tutors will not let their own attitudes about the College, instructors and so on, influence their behavior during a tutoring session;
- Tutors will effectively monitor time, restricting sessions to one hour if other tutees are waiting to be seen;
Encourage Independent Learning
- Tutors will guide the tutees by providing clarification, examples, summaries of concepts and by modeling effective study habits;
- Tutors will allow tutees to derive their own solutions or ideas by utilizing an inquiry-based approach;
- Tutors will not complete assignments for tutees.
Establish a Positive, Productive Rapport
- Tutors will introduce themselves at the start of each session;
- Tutors will keep the atmosphere relaxed but structured and conducive to learning;
- Tutors will strive to demonstrate patience, encouragement, competence and strong communication skills;
- The tutor will set realistic goals with the student at the beginning of the session and will do their best to accomplish these goals by the end of the session;
Take a Holistic Approach
- Tutors will be responsive to each individual’s needs;
- Tutors will make appropriate referrals to other resources on campus;
- Tutors will access Canvas, with tutees, to obtain general information about the course and/or recommend that students contact their instructors directly, whenever appropriate.
Remain Qualified to Tutor
- Tutors will maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0;
- Tutors will attend and/or complete all required training;
- Tutors will adhere to all items contained in the Tutor Code of Conduct.