Driver’s License/State ID

Students who want to drive a car while studying in the U.S. will either need to have an international driver's license, which is obtained from the home country, or a Pennsylvania State Driver's license. The international driver's license is usually only valid for your first year in the United States.  Anyone who wishes to get a driver's license will take a written exam for the learner's permit and then a road skills test in a car.  

To obtain a driver’s license, you will need the following:

  • PennDOT Form 180
  • Social Security number or Social Security Denial Letter
  • Enrollment Verification Letter
  • Immigration Documents (I-20, Visa, Passport, I-94)
  • Check/Money Order
  • Proof of Pennsylvania residency

Employment Training


Health Insurance

Housing Information

Following are housing options near Community College of Philadelphia:
International House*
(Flexible lease options are available from 1 week to 1 year)
3701 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 387-5125
Marine Club Condominiums
1100 South Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19146
(215) 545-5100
Museum Towers Apartments
1801 Buttonwood Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130
(877) 635-1043
Oxford Village*
1612 North 15th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19121
(877) 396-6165
Park Place One Apartments
1801 Winchester Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19115
Between Mather St and Old Bustleton Ave
(215) 969-7230
The Summit, University City*
3200 Chestnut Street, Retail 1
3400 Lancaster Avenue, Philadelphia PA 19104
(215) 222-3100
University Crossings*
3175 JFK Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 382-3432
* These apartments are only available to students.

Maintaining Status

Social Security Numbers



If you wish to transfer to another U.S. college or university, your SEVIS record must be transferred to the new institution as well.  If you are transferring prior to completing your program, or after graduation, you must submit an acceptance letter from the school you're planning to transfer to, any forms required by that school, and the ISS transfer-out form (PDF) to the International Student Advisor to transfer your SEVIS record.